Friday, July 10, 2009

Picking a builder

Picking a builder is like deciding which doctor you want to operate on you...it's a decision that will affect you for a long long time! Luckily for us, my brother is a builder, and a good one at that! But if he weren't, I'd think our decision-making would go somewhat like this:

-Search and make a list. The first thing I'd do is search for a list of local builders, check out their websites and make a list of those in my price range who build houses similar in size, quality, and type to the one I wish to build. Like contemporary style? I don't, but if I did I'd find builders who specialize in building those types of houses.

-Ask around. Know someone who's built his own house? Talk to him and see who built it and how the experience was. Is your friend really recommending someone? Because it's always best to go with someone already tried and tested!

-Check them out. I'd make sure to see pictures of houses the builder has already built, and if possible, visit a model house. Always best to see the finished product with your own eyes! My brother built his own house, and my husband and I love it and want ours to be quite similar to it.

-Meet/talk with them. Once I've whittled my list down a little, I'd meet or talk with the remaining options and see who I feel most comfortable with. When building a house, you're about to enter into a month-long relationship, with sometimes daily communication. You should like your builder, or at least not hate him! Make sure you show or at least describe the lot to your builder. Is there a house currently on the lot? Sometimes parts of the land can't be built on. Make sure you discuss these details! Especially if you're going with a foreclosure.

-Negotiate. Talk numbers from the first visit. Don't get stuck in the position where you've grown fond of a builder, but haven't yet discussed cost. If you're demolishing, don't forget to talk demolition costs. Where does the money you pay for the house go?

-Sign a contract. Be sure to read the contract before signing!! No one likes a surprise!

Got the builder and the lot. Now what? Time to apply for building and demolition (if applicable) permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment